Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Guys Go Fishing

My husband and our friend love to fish. So do I. So do our kids. Its fun and most of us enjoy eating fresh fish. I caught my first two keepers toward the end of the season. Now, I use the phrase “end of the season” very loosely. The reason being, these men are fanatical about fishing. They have spent at least a few hours every weekend since the water froze, ice fishing. I have spent every weekend since the water froze, teasing them. You see, they spend all evening, the night previous to fishing day, preparing their tip ups, lines, and other gear. They usually get 0-3 hours sleep, owing to the fact that they need to be the first ones on the ice, in order to get first pick of the lake. Then they spend the rest of day standing around 6 inch holes, freezing their asses off. They call this fun. They try to get me to join them. They just don’t get it. There is nothing in my genetic make up that thinks this is a good idea. My people are from the desert. My husband, on the other hand, was created to thrive in a cold climate, as some of his ancestors were Swedish. Hell, the cold is probably good for his constitution. More power to him. You just won’t find this woman any where near them if they happen to be standing around on ice.

Each week they go out with high hopes. They know which ponds stock which fish. They are equipped with the appropriate gear. Each week they come home and tell me about the guy who caught a salmon just as they were about to leave or the trout they caught, but didn’t quite land. One weekend they even brought home a few perch, to appease me, but they were barely edible. Too much work for not enough meat. There has to be some equation to make it worth it. For example, sun fish. Most people wouldn’t bother. They’ve heard they’re not good eatin’. Well let me tell you. They are the candy of the lake. So I’m willing to work for the little meat you get, but with perch... Sorry, just doesn’t cut it for me. Pardon me, I digress, I was discussing these gentlemen and their bizarre ritual. As I said earlier, I find it hard not to tease them. What is there to take seriously?

Well I guess today is the day they came home with the answer.

Take a look at these:

They did it!!!

Now that's a fish!

Yumm!!!

I guess they showed me. I don’t mind eating a little crow, especially when it tastes like salmon.

3 comments:

Teacher Laila Chris said...

My husband loves fishing too! You've got a lovely blog. I'll be back and I'll keep checking on it.

LOVE
xoxo

Bamboo Rose said...

Thank you so much for dropping me a line. It means a lot. As I sit and write, I wonder if people are actually reading my words. Its nice to know they are.

Teacher Laila Chris said...

Yo lady,

There are real readers out there!